August 17, 2006

 

Thug Life

...
...Note: I’m out of town at present and must use an iBook G4 for all my online work. Any complaints regarding formatting abnormalities in this post should be directed at the folks at Apple. (Any complaints regarding viewpoints should continue to be directed at me.)
...I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m going to become a criminal. Most of my income would be tax-free, I’ll be popular with a lot of Americans who idolize criminals, and even if a law enforcement agency attempts to stop me, I’ll just have them arrested—and probably convicted—for doing their job. You don’t think that it’ll work? Tell that to Ignacio Ramos and José Compean.
...Ramos and Compean are Border Patrol agents who were found guilty in March of causing serious bodily injury, assault with a deadly weapon, discharge of a firearm in relation to a crime of violence, and violating a person’s civil rights. What did they do? They stopped Osbaldo Aldrete-Davila from bringing over 800 pounds of pot into the United States from Mexico, and shot him in the buttocks when he pulled a gun on them. Ramos and Compean are due to be sentenced on Tuesday and could get up to 20 years behind bars. Aldrete-Davila, on the other hand, is suing the federal government for $5 million for the “civil rights violation.”
...I’m not sure which part of this story scares me more: knowing that criminals can have law enforcement officials arrested and convicted for stopping them, or knowing that part of the reason for the conviction might have been due to alleged corruption. You see, two of the jurors in this case have come forward and said that prosecutors pressured them into finding the agents guilty. (That’s aside from an investigator from the Office of Inspector General tracking down Aldrete-Davila in Mexico to offer him immunity for testifying after the drug trafficker declared that he was forming a posse to shoot Border Patrol agents in retaliation for Ramos and Compean stopping him from delivering his illicit cargo.)
...Oh, did I mention that some of the jurors were said to have come to a quick decision because they didn’t want the trial to run too long? Apparently they had plans for spring break and didn’t want a silly trial to interfere with partying.
...I can only hope that I’m never in a situation like Ramos and Compean.

2 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

Wait, what? Did I read this correctly? *shakes head vigorously* I'm confused. What country is this again?

August 17, 2006  
Blogger Chase Edwards Cooper said...

I know how you feel. The story was mentioned on C-Span this morning, and at first I thought that I heard it incorrectly. A Congressman from Texas was the guest and didn’t want to comment on the story, which made me think that perhaps there’s something to it. Sure enough, a quick news search and there it was.

I read it four or five times thinking that I was missing something, but as far as I can tell, everything is just as it’s reported:

Drug trafficker tries to cross into United States with 800 pounds of marijuana; trafficker is stopped by Border Patrol; trafficker jumps out of van and runs, but is caught by Border Patrol; trafficker draws gun and Border Patrol fires in self-defense; Border Patrol agents are arrested and found guilty by a jury of party animals who were pressured by the prosecutor; agents are facing 20 years of prison; drug trafficker stands to make $5 million of our money.

I hope that I’m missing something here.

August 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home